The professional writing minor allows students to gain a theoretical grounding and practical experience in both traditional and new media journalism, public relations, advertising, and marketing communications. Whenever possible, students in the professional writing classes work collaboratively on projects with students in other media-related disciplines. This minor requires each student to take 5 courses.
- JPW 250 – Writing for Interactive Media
3 Professional Writing Options
- JPW 208 – Introduction to Journalism
- JPW 251 – Feature Writing (Same as IMM 240)
- JPW 301 – Data Journalism (Same as IMM 441)
- JPW 311 – News Editing and Production
- JPW 350 – Magazine Writing
- JPW 370 – Topics in Journalism
- JPW 371 – Topics in Professional Writing
- JPW 399 – Internship in Journalism or Professional Writing
- JPW 498 – Beats and Deadlines
Any LIT or CRW course by advisement. Any IMM course not listed above.
- AAV 251 – Introduction to Graphic Design
- BUS 200 – Legal & Regulatory Environment of Business
- ECO 101 – Principles of Economics: Micro
- COM 212 – TV Production
- COM 371 – Topics in Public Relations
- TST 160 – Creative Design
Only one course unit, either required or elective, may be used to satisfy requirements for both a major field and a minor field.
For more information, contact Kim Pearson.