The College of New Jersey Logo

Apply     Visit     Give     |     Alumni     Parents     Offices     TCNJ Today     Three Bar Menu

Transfer FAQ

Transfer FAQ (PDF)

Are you a prospective or recently-accepted transfer student?

If you plan to transfer to TCNJ from another school, and wonder if any of your courses will count toward an English degree, please note that your courses will be evaluated by our Office of Records and Registration after you have been accepted. See If you plan to transfer or have recently transferred from a New Jersey community college, however, you can check course equivalencies on the NJTRANSFER website:

Are you a current TCNJ English major planning to take courses elsewhere to count toward your degree?

If you plan to transfer a course from a New Jersey community college, you can check course equivalencies on the NJTRANSFER website: This website reflects a formal agreement between New Jersey’s community colleges and public four-year institutions, so no pre-approval is needed to take one of these courses.

If you plan to transfer a course from a community college outside of New Jersey or any four-year school (including study abroad), you must have the course pre-approved by the Chair or Associate Chair of English. Print the Undergraduate Course Authorization form , fill it out, and bring it to the English Department Office—or make an appointment by emailing one of the chairs.

How many courses may I transfer in toward my English or English Secondary Education degree?

In order to graduate with one of these degrees, you need a minimum of 128 credits (32 four-credit courses). TCNJ limits each student to 80 credits (20 courses) from outside the College, with no more than 64 credits (16 courses) from a community college. The English Department requires that you take 7 of your English courses at the College, so that you may transfer in no more than 4 courses. (Students studying abroad for a year may transfer in more than 4 courses by approval of the chair.) We also have restrictions on the types of courses that may be transferred in:

English majors are required to take at least five upper-level (300- or 400-level) courses in an 11-course major. Three 200-level critical content courses (four for any type of English/Education major) are required, and often have no equivalents elsewhere. Therefore, students can typically count no more than three transferred 200-level courses toward the English major (one for any type of English/Education major).

The English major has specific required courses as well as a certain amount of flexibility (electives or options). See the requirements for the English major Also see the undergraduate course bulletin for specific courses offered by the English Department You will find English Department courses (Creative Writing, English Education, Linguistics, and Literature) under the school of Humanities and Social Sciences.

How do I know the level of a course?

If the school from which you are transferring has the same levels as TCNJ (200=sophomore, 300=junior, 400=senior), the course will transfer at the same level. If not, the Office of Records and Registration will make the determination. Community college courses are, by definition, 200-level or lower.

Will my composition course count toward my English degree?

No. This course may transfer as WRI 102 Academic Writing, which does not count toward a degree in English.

Will my SAT or AP scores count toward my English degree?

A score of 5 on the Advanced Placement Exam in Literature is equivalent to LIT 200/Introduction to Poetry, the first foundation course of the English Major. Other AP scores may give you credit toward the 32 courses required for graduation 

If the Office of Records and Registration does not count one of my courses toward my English degree, do I have the right to appeal?

An appeal is not necessary. The Office of Records and Registration approves only courses about which they have already consulted with the English Department: their list cannot possibly cover all courses at all institutions of higher education. After the first stage of evaluation by Records and Registration, you need only make an appointment with the Associate Chair of English to ask questions about specific courses. We expect such conversations, especially with students whose transferred courses are not covered by the formal agreement between New Jersey’s community colleges and public four-year institutions. It may be necessary to show a syllabus or course description. The Associate Chair may also need to consult with faculty in the appropriate field.

If the course I think should count toward my English degree is not listed in the undergraduate course bulletin is a conversation with the Associate Chair pointless?

Not at all. Some courses are not listed in the bulletin because they are rarely offered; the Associate Chair will be able to identify one of these “hidden” courses if equivalent to the course you have in mind. Also, please note that English has “topics” courses, a category which not only allows us to offer students a variety of interesting topics on a one-to-three-time basis, but also allows a great deal of latitude in counting courses from outside TCNJ.

What do I do about a TCNJ course outside English Department offerings that I think should count toward my English degree?

For English, one course from outside English may be counted (with approval of the Associate Chair) toward the degree. For such courses, you should consult first with the Associate Chair, who may refer you to the appropriate department at TCNJ.

Are there any restrictions on courses taken abroad?

Yes. See the department chair or associate chair.